Attending the Senior Symposium

On May 8th a collection of the best and brightest of Sierra Nevada College all gathered in a single room to showcase all of the intelligent things they created. There were business majors, artists, authors, inventors and Bryce Bullins all trying to prove to the world that an overpriced liberal arts degree is worth its weight in salt. The jury is still out.

I showed up at three o’clock because I had nothing better to do with my life. Presenters were already jockeying for position and I watched as a water-bottle bear was wheeled into the room, and paintings were fastened via tape and thumbtacks to a single sheet of wall erected for just that purpose. I wandered around briefly taking in a few of the more interesting projects already present.

I then received a phone call. “Bruins game in an hour.” I left, and watched the game. The Bruins pulled a win out of their hat in overtime to tie the series up with the Canadiens, but that is beside the point. It was great to watch, but beside the point. America!

When I returned to the symposium it was in full swing. Large amounts of Sodexo mush sat on a table, and the lovely Ophelia was pouring wine and popping beers with vim and vigor. I helped myself to one and then another.  I also tipped.  Tip your bar tenders.  Just because you pay lots of money to the college does not mean any of it goes to their employees.  Seriously, help them out. I then began to explore.

Most projects were so packed that I had to stand on my tip-toes to read them. The beers I drank did not help me with this.  I soon gave the tactic up. I observed the voting box for a few moments. Days before the symposium I heard talk of voter fraud. Apparently last year a student had been heard stating, “I voted six times,” as he swilled his beer. The Republican in me was shocked when no person was present requesting IDs and fingerprints. This is how Obama won the election. Travesty.

While the crowds were immense I did manage to see a few projects. A group of sustainability majors put together a solar cooler. This was impressive. An artist painted very creepy portraits. These were enjoyable. An English major ranted about Shakespeare while clutching a medieval tome like the King James Bible, and a Creative Writing major created and electronically published a graphic novel. All the projects I enjoyed were in-depth and creative. There were also a plethora of other disciplines present, mostly business majors. Unfortunately I unconsciously avoid talking to people wearing blazers until I have talked to everyone else. I ran out of time before I could talk to everyone else.  This is a personal problem and I am working on it, or hate myself for working on it.  Maybe I am bi-polar.  Do not listen to anything I say.  Anyways, here are some facts.

A project by Elaine Inglis titled Call structure of the mountain chickadee (Poecile gambeli) in the presence and absence of food won first place while a project titled Solar Innovations took second. Hydraulic and Restoration Analysis of Incline Creek by Ashley Vandermeer took third. Projects by Chelsea Cunningham and Bryce Bullins took fourth and fifth respectively. All in all the event was quite a success boasting at least a hundred people in attendance and intelligent conversation all around.